9.23.2008

So long Simon, Hello Coborn!

This post is all about groceries. Why, you ask? Because the lack of it has been causing some problems. During law school we started using Simon Deliveries, a local online grocery delivery store. It was great! My favorite part was that they kept a master list of the things I had previously ordered, so most weeks, I could grocery shop in a matter of minutes. Online shopping was fabulous during law school, I was on my laptop 99% of the time anyway, so why not take a few minutes and get a household task done. Well, since it worked so well in law school, we just kept using it. [NOTE: every now and again I would price check Simon versus our local grocery store....though it was a little more expensive, when you factored in the time I actually spent grocery shopping, it was well worth it.] Anyway, Simon closed its door a couple months ago citing gas prices, the ecomony, and some other stuff as their reason for going out of business. That was a very sad day for us. We had become very accustomed to online grocery shopping. No lines, no wasting time, quick shopping and same day delivery. [NOTE: I actually ENJOY regular grocery shopping, just not when the stores are super crowded - which is essentially anytime I am able to shop. Also, I'm not a particularly big fan of Cub Foods and that's the "best" grocery store near us. I really miss the days of Hy-vee (Ames).] Anyway, since Simon closed we have gone many a day with pretty bare cupboards and eaten a few too many meals out. See, life as a lawyer is just as busy (if not more so) than life as a law student, so it is still difficult to find a time to grocery shop. I'd rather hang out with AJA and Jim then spend an hour at a grocery store I don't really like.

So, why am I telling you all this? Because Coborn Delivers just bought Simons and will be reopening in October. Hurrah! Now we'll food in our fridge and a full pantry, which means I can cook (another thing I enjoy), which means you should come over for dinner. I'm thinking maybe maple glazed pork chops, atop a mixed green salad with a feta vinaigrette and oven baked potato rounds. Or perhaps, fajitas. Or maybe Kim Bop (which I've been promising AJA that we'll make). The possibilities are endless.


Later folks
njs

1 comment:

Richard said...

So, how does this work? Do you have to be home to pick up? Do they leave it in boxes outside? Do they select fresh stuff? What if you get freezer food? Is it all melted?

If it isn't clear... I'm thinking about doing this.